Friday, October 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Fall Morning Pumpkin Oatmeal


I recently bought a large bag of organic locally grown rolled oats.  We are trying to spend more of our food dollars locally to support farmers as well as reducing the transportation emissions associated with our food.  Eating locally is not always easy in Canada, unless you live in more southern regions.  Where we live, I am grateful for any and all locally grown foods that I can access.  So although I am accustomed to using quick cooking oats in the kitchen, I decided it was worth it to make these oats work for us.

I know that I could have processed the oats in the food processor for a few seconds to make them "quicker cooking", but I decided to branch out and try out some new ideas.  The first day that I cooked the rolled oats, I was pretty annoyed at how long they took to cook.  Having cooked steel cut oats in the slow cooker before, I thought I would give it a try with my new bag of oats.  Also, since it is fall, I had to put a pumpkin-y twist on my breakfast oatmeal.


Fall Morning Pumpkin Oatmeal

2 large apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup (or brown sugar, brown rice syrup, etc.)
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups rolled oats
2 1/2 cups water

Beginning with the apples, layer the first 6 ingredients in the slow cooker.  Pour water over the ingredients.  Do not stir.  Cook on low overnight for 8 to 9 hours.  Serves 6.  Breakfast will be waiting for you when you wake up!

I used my smaller sized slow cooker, and so the ingredients filled it about 3/4 full.  If using a large slow cooker, you may need to reduce cooking times to prevent the edges from becoming too dark or crispy.  Keep leftovers in the refrigerator and microwave before eating.  I found this better the second day!

Shared at:

My Romantic Home, Truly Lovely, Chic on a Showstring, The Better Half, Dear Creatives, The Best Blog Recipes, Diana Rambles, Obsessive and Creative, Simply Sweet Home, Serenity Now, Thirty Handmade Days

2 comments:

  1. totally going to try this erin! i love oatmeal on a chilly day and let's face it everything is better with pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally true: Everything IS better with pumpkin! I actually ate some of this cold for dessert one night. It tastes like an apple pumpkin crisp. I think you can get away with adding even more apples than the recipe calls for if you like. It is awesome, you won't be disappointed!

      Delete