Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cold (and Flu) Fighting Tea


My oldest daughter came down with a cold-like illness this weekend, with a sore throat and three days of fever.  She never gets sick for more than a day, so I think it must be a nasty bug.  We were at the cottage with family for Thanksgiving and she and I had to share a bed.  So I feel as though I am due to get ill at any moment.

There are a few things we do at our house when one of us is sick and the rest are trying to stay healthy.  Of course, we all are extra diligent in washing our hands often.  I wash hand towels and bed linens more often.  We all try to get in extra doses of fruits and veggie with smoothies, juices made in our juicer, and soups.  Something else that my husband and I do is drink our version of a cold fighting tea.  Neither one of us are medical professionals or dietitians, but we feel this helps us beat the germs!


Cold (and Flu) Fighting Tea

1 slice lemon, about 1/2 an inch thick with peel removed
2 slices fresh ginger, about 1/4 inch thick with peel removed
About 1 tablespoon raw, unpasteurized honey
Boiling water

Place ginger and lemon slice in a mug.  Fill mug with boiling water.  Stir gently.  Allow to sit for five minutes. Remove lemon.  Stir in honey.  Drink!



I remove the lemon because I don't like big chunks of lemon in my mouth, but you can keep it in while you drink if that doesn't bother you.  We use raw honey because we feel it has stronger antimicrobial properties, although I know others swear by using any kind of Manuka honey.  Of course, never give this "tea" or honey to a child under one.  

My husband sometimes goes a step further and crushes a garlic clove and mixes it with honey and apple cider vinegar.  He adds a bit of water to thin it and shoots it back.  It's disgusting but he says it helps him feel better.  He also does this hydrogen peroxide trick when he feels something coming on.

Hopefully no one else gets sick, especially the baby.  I've been trying to keep them apart, but it's not always easy!  What do you do when you feel yourself coming down with something?

post signature


Shared at:
Handy Man Crafty Woman, Someday Crafts, The Trendy Treehouse, Creations by Kara, We Like to Learn as We Go, Not Just a Housewife, Elizabeth and Co, Ladybug Blessings, Fireflies and Jellybeans, A Glimpse Inside, A Creative Princess, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Made in a Day, Gingerly Made

8 comments:

  1. We use home remedies anytime we can. I've never seen this particular tea but am glad to add it to my arsenal. Would you be willing to share it at our Making Monday link party? We would love it and I'm sure our readers would, too. Thanks. Have a fabulous day .http://www.abrightandbeautifullife.com/making-monday-9/

    Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life
    www.abrightandbeautifullife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for adding my hydrogen peroxide post to your article. Love the tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! He has not been sick at all in about three years and he swears that this is the main reason why.

      Delete
  3. I drink this tea every day. I've been battling pneumonia since May. My friend, who has her practice in alternative medicine, suggested I drink this for the benefits of the ginger. I will sometimes add an organic black tea or herbal tea. I've also been juicing for the past few months and all of these things together have helped me in the process of healing my body from the inside out. Ginger is good for so many things and very easy to incorporate in our daily diets. Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am thinking that I should drink it more often, especially in the winter months. It tastes good, so I wouldn't mind.

      Delete
  4. This is the best combination for colds, makes you feel better pretty much straight away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I love letting the ginger sit in the cup for a loooong time so it gets nice and spicy.

      Delete